Sunday, April 22, 2007

Farewell to Judge Littlejohn

The news came late on Saturday. Good ol' Judge Bruce Littlejohn had passed away. A good friend, neighbor, gentleman, scholar, author, public servant, and library patron.

Most folks already know that at 93 years of age that the Judge had a great life. State Representative, Speaker of the House, Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court and practicing attorney.

He would stop by my office every now and then to talk and to catch-up. I remember the time I looked as if I was in a hurry, and he said "Son, sit down, I'm retired and you have nothing to do." How do you respond to that except with a "Yes, sir."

He would talk about his practice and how he started on Morgan Square with a pencil, a pad and a telephone. That's it. He did not care too much for "new ways."

The Judge would visit the Library once a week to read the Sunday edition of the New York Times. "It gives you perspective", he would say.

The Judge had been a widower for about fifty years. His wife died in her early 40's. I asked the Judge why he never remarried. His response? "I don't want to be with a woman who would want to be with a man like me."

The Judge and I were to have lunch two months ago (I would drive and he would pay), because he had some things he wanted to discuss. The lunch never happened as he ended up going to the hospital for heart surgery. He never fully recovered. I am left to wonder what he wanted to discuss. With Judge Littlejohn - you never really knew where the discussion would go. One thing is for sure...you needed to pay attention, and you needed to be engaged in the conversation.

I will miss the Judge and his wit. He was one of a kind.

Obituary

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Todd, I will truly miss Judge Littlejohn and his wit. Never has there been a more true statement than the one; "One thing for sure.....you needed to pay attention, and you needed to be engaged in the conversation." Judge Littlejohn had a way of capturing your full attention without demanding a thing. I will miss the amazing stories he could tell, and his never ending curiosity. He was truly one of a kind and will be genuinely missed!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home