Friday, March 30, 2007

Wiki Dude is Coming to Spartanburg

The Friends of the Spartanburg County Public Libraries present the Dennis L. Bruce Author Series featuring Jimmy Wales. Wales is a founder of Wikipedia. For information on the event go here: WIKI .

Inviting Wales began with a visit to the doctor. I was flipping through a business magazine when I saw an article on the 20 people who have influenced technology. I saw Wales' name, and wondered if we could schedule him for an appearance in Spartanburg. It worked out.

Ironically, Wikipedia has generated a lot of national conversation on the accuracy of entries and the validity of the information submitted. Here is an article from the msnbc website (The word on Wikipedia: Trust but verify).

My brother, a college textbook publishing rep, has told me that professors are refusing to purchase textbooks that have Wikipedia screenshots incorporated into the text.

The April addition of Fast Company has a cover story featuring Wales. It seems that Wales is interested in improving Internet searching. The point of the article is that Google better watch out.

I am amazed at the amount of attention Wales' visit is generating. I have had media outlets trying to position themselves to out scoop the other. In the last seven days, the Jimmy Wales' calendar announcement and event page on our website has had 187 unique visitors.

I look forward to having the community share in this event, and I am especially appreciative of the Friends and Converse College who have shared their resources to help bring Wales to town.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was impressed to read that he was coming to little ol' Spartanburg. Good job!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home