Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Happy Tree Video Game?

Bob Ross was the painting guy on PBS. He would paint an elaborate landscape with a "happy tree" here and there within a thirty minute show. When I was a kid I would stumble across his show on Saturday mornings. It was not difficult to find his show when you only had channels 4-NBC, 7-WSPA, 13-ABC and ETV/PBS.

I would watch this guy as he dabbed the brush against the canvas, and then he would whisper about "the gurgling creek as it winds around the happy tree." I guess he was like a Mister Rogers of sorts. I was hypnotized by his running commentary and his ability to actually paint a complex landscape in such a short amount of time. He would always leave you feeling as if you could paint the exact same landscape with three brushes, a knife, and a few colors. Maybe I could, but as a kid I had other interests.

You would not know this by visiting his website (http://www.bobross.com/), but Bob has been deceased for over ten years. The business part of his life lives on...one brush and tube of paint at a time.

I am curious to see the response to the Bob Ross video game (release date unknown). Announced in March 2006, the game will run on a PC, Nintendo DS and the Wii. The Wii remote will serve as a paintbrush. Painting happy trees in a high tech world. Interesting...

Our Libraries keep a variety of Bob's how-to books and videos, so you can teach yourself how to paint Bob's way or you can wait until the video game makes its debut.

Either way, I think I will keep to doodling in the margins. After all, it's a happy little stick man.

1 Comments:

Blogger lauram said...

i will have to check this out--i loved watching bob on tv--and i learned to paint from him--now if i just had the time to paint as much as i would like to! ;-)

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home