Saturday, May 12, 2007

Is it Coke, Soda or Pop?

Growing up in South Carolina, a soft drink was always referred to as a Coke. This was especially true in Spartanburg, because of a Coca-Cola bottling plant within two miles from the center of town. By the way, the Spartanburg plant was the first to bottle the plastic two liters back in the late 1970's.

Anyway, the question stands - is it a Coke, Soda or Pop? Alan McConchie decided to quantify the question. Since about 2002, McConchie has measured responses. Here is the map: Pop vs. Soda. The map allows you to "mouse over" the legend to see which region prefers Coke, Pop or Soda. There is a county map that allows you to see specific allegiances. You can enter your town to place a vote.

By the way, according to the map, 50%-80% of folks in Spartanburg still refer to a soft drink as a Coke.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gives new meaning to "red states" and "blue states," eh?

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny! When I first moved to the south, people would look at me funny and tease me when I said POP - some people actually POPPED me on the arm every time I said it!! Well, well according to McConchie's stats, it looks like POP is the winner(so far)! So, I graciously take my place among the "39.76% of all responses"!! It is POP!! :-)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home